Surface Crushed Limestone-A miner was seriously injured when the expanded metal walkway that he was standing on suddenly failed. The miner fell 10 feet directly to the ground below. The expanded metal walkway was covered with conveyor belt to aid in shoveling spillage. The deterioration of the expanded metal. Further, the application of the conveyor belt masked the signs of deterioration on the walkway, making a thorough workplace examination difficult.
- Examine your work places for all possible hazards and correct them before you perform work
- Conduct structural inspections periodically
- Look, listen & feel for abnormalities in walkways
- Routinely examine metal structures for indications of weakened structural soundness (corrosion, fatigue cracks, bent/buckling beams, braces or columns, loose/missing connectors, broken welds, etc.)
- Keep corrosive material spillage/build-up removed from metal structures
- Report all areas where indications of structural weakness are found