Underground Zinc Mine –A contractor sustained crushing injuries to his pelvis area. The victim was standing next to the disabled haul truck while a load haul dump attempted to push the disabled haul truck out of the roadway. The haul truck turned toward the miner pinning him between the truck and the rib.
• Equipment operators should proceed cautiously when entering areas where personnel are working on foot.
• Communicate planned equipment movement with persons in the area.
• Mine operators should take measures to ensure all underground personnel who work near mobile equipment wear reflective clothing.
• Ensure all miners are trained to recognize work place hazards, specifically the hazard of mobile equipment traveling near them.
• Before moving mobile equipment, look in the direction of travel, be certain no one is in the intended path, sound the horn to warn possible unseen persons, and wait to give them time to get to a safe location.