Cement Plant- A contract employee (victim) was using a hand held rotary saw with a worn concrete blade to cut through a 6-inch iron pipe. As the victim attempted to cut the pipe from the bottom up, the saw bounced off the pipe striking the victim in the chest causing a severe wound. Victim was transported to a local hospital and was released several days later.
- Use appropriate equipment for the job
- Train workers on machine use and allow only trained workers to operator and maintain the equipment.
- Frequently inspect equipment and guards.
- Follow manufacturer’s specifications and operating procedures.
- Choose the correct blade for the material being cut.
- Make sure the blade is properly secured and the blade guard is down.
- Make sure the blade has no damage (chips or cracks).